Flatstock, in Austin TX during SXSW Music Festival
Here we go!
The very first Flatstock Rock Poster Convention of 2012 is right around the corner and we’re getting all of our posters, prints, tees, test prints and thingamajigs into gear. We’re chomping at the bit and rarin’ to go with lots of new work to show at first taste of Spring and favorite Texas town during the amazing SXSW Music Festival.
Flatstock 33 will display the works of more than 100 artists from across North America and the globe. The exhibition is free and open-to-the-public running March 14-17 and features posters representing decades of styles, colors and techniques for sale. Show up early and be ready to be overwhelmed with amazing posters. (You might want to bring some dough since you won’t want to leave empty handed!) The exhibition is free and open to the public.
This year is just slightly more exciting than ever with a couple of added events in Texas.
- Wednesday 3/14: Hot gig poster printing awesomeness! We were commissioned by the HGTV network to design a poster for one of 4 showcase nights of great music they will be hosting at SXSW at their beautifully renovated venue, The Studio. Our silkscreen poster (see the design below) will be hand printed on-site by Andy MacDougall of Squeegeeville with the help of Austin’s own Coronado Studio during the opening night of The Studio on Wednesday 3/14 and we’ll be there too, signing posters and they are completed and handing them out to the first 300 folks at the show. (Note, you must be a registered SXSW participant to attend The Studio showcase shows.) The bands appearing for Wednesday night’s showcase are: Say Hi, Young Orchids, Oh Mercy, Sean Bones, The Pierces & Girl In A Coma. For more info about HGTV’s The Studio, full band and poster artist list click here.
This limited edition, hand silkscreen printed poster will be available exclusively at The Studio by HGTV on 3/14 during the show.
- Thursday 3/15: We will be appearing at the SXSW Film Festival Premiere of the poster documentary film Just Like Being There by director Scout Shannon on March 15th at 4:15pm at The Vimeo Theater (inside the Convention Center at 201 Trinity St.) and Allison will be speaking after the Premiere in a Q & A session with a selection of other Flatstock posters artists who also appear in the film.
Who: Over 100 working rock poster artists from all around the globe. Click here for the list of Flatstock 33 participating artists.
Where: Flatstock 33 at SXSW in the Austin Convention Center on Level 1 – Ballrooms A, B, C – same place as last year!
- Wednesday 3/14 from 2:00pm – 6:00pm
- Thursday 3/15 – Saturday 3/17 11:00am – 6:00pm
What: The FLATSTOCK poster show series is presented by the American Poster Institute (API). It is an ongoing series of exhibitions featuring the work of many of the most popular concert poster artists working today and happens 4-6 times a year with scheduled shows in Austin, TX at SXSW, Barcelona Spain during Primavera Music Festival, Chicago, IL during Pitchfork Music Festival, Seattle WA at Bumbershoot Fest, and in Hamburg Germany during the Reeperbahn Festival.
If you are in Austin for SXSW we hope to see you at the amazing Flatstock Rock Poster Convention, so come say hello!
The strawberryluna booth at SXSW Flatstock '09, so come see us this year too. (click for more info)
It’s really Spring! And for us that means the first Flatstock of the year, in Austin, TX during the HUGE music festival SXSW. We’ll be working part of the time and having a blast the other. Come on and see us and close to 100 (that’s right) poster artists from all over the world, showing our work and talking shop with music industry folks, poster art fans and the wide open general public.
We will be debuting new posters and new art prints as well as bringing a slew of Test Prints too, so it’s going to be rad. Come say hi!
Co-presented by the American Poster Institute (API) and SXSW, Flatstock 24 will display the works of more than 100 artists from across North America and the globe. Posters representing decades of styles, colors and techniques will be on display and for sale as well as additional merchandise. Show up early and be ready to be overwhelmed with amazing posters. (You might want to bring some dough since you won’t want to leave empty handed!) The exhibition is free and open to the public. Check out this year’s exhibiting artists.
Big ol' fisheye view of a Flatstock in Austin, TX, photo Jen Soto. (click for more info)
The best concert posters have always captured both the essence of the music they promoted and the spirit of the time in which they were produced. Flatstock provides an ongoing series of opportunities to see fine poster art in person and to meet the artists who created it.
Making SXSW a true music collector’s paradise, don’t forget to set time aside for the Austin Record Convention in the same exhibit hall and the Texas Guitar Show in the adjacent hall.
The legendary Smokey Robinson will visit Flatstock 24 on Thursday afternoon following his keynote address to sell his limited edition prints designed by Shepard Fairey. Swing by to get your one-of-a-kind poster signed by both Smokey and Shepard.
Screenprinted art print of the legendary Smokey Robinson by Shepard Fairey.
The Important Details!
Schedule & Hours:
- Thursday. 3/18 HOURS from 1:00pm – 6:00pm (includes Smokey Robinson & Shepard Fairey appearances.)
- Friday. 3/19 and Saturday. 3/20 HOURS: from 10:00am – 6:00pm
Austin Convention Center Level 1, Exhibit Hall 1, on the Ground Floor.
About the API: The American Poster Institute is a nonprofit corporation dedicated to serving the poster artist community and promoting the art form. The Flatstock shows provide the American Poster Institute with a way to present poster artists collectively while showcasing the breadth of styles they represent.
About SXSW: The first South by Southwest Music Conference and Festival (SXSW) was held in 1987 in Austin, Texas. Despite the fact that Austin was not a Top 20 major market at the time, the background and character of the city made it a perfect location for the conference. SXSW’s original goal was to create an event that would act as a tool for creative people and the companies they work with to develop their careers, to bring together people from a wide area to meet and share ideas. That continues to be the goal today whether it is music, film or the internet. And Austin continues to be the perfect location.
I’m just about packed, and getting super excited to head down to SXSW in Austin, TX for the Flatstock rock poster show. I almost can’t sleep, it’s like Christmas. I figured that for anyone else thinking about checking Flatstock that I’d post a floorplan to help folks negotiate all of the awesome.
It’s a bit wide, so I’ve popped it up on my Flickr page here. If you come through Flatstock, definitely come say hello!